Date:      24 Feb 2000 13:56:39 +0200
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es, darrylo@sr.hp.comm, ziady@in-design.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7k Sound

Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> From various sources I've spoken to, the ESS M2E is a real bastard.
> There doesn't actually appear to be any real documentation available even
> to developers within the company; the best that you'll ever do is source
> for their Windows drivers.

> I'd suggest looking at the Linux driver for inspiration; you're not going
> to find much elsewhere. 8(

Based on the Linux driver, I've written a newpcm driver to support
just the mixer of the Maestro2E back in december, basically because I
had a bunch of CDs with me and nothing but a -current laptop to play
them on.  It was relatively simple since the generic ac97 driver works
fine and all I had to provide in addition to the probe and attach code
were functions to read/write the ac97 registers of the m2e.

If the kludges described in the comments of the Linux driver are the
only way to get the Maestro2E to actually play audio, I'm not sure
whether implementing a complete driver is worth the effort.

If anyone is interested in the mixer code, I can check that it still
works and make it available.