Date:      23 May 2000 14:12:49 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Ethics of Free Software

Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org> writes:
> The claim that "for profit software" and "closed source software" are
> different is not supported by market realities. Neither RMS nor ESR
> have come up with a viable economic model which can support all the
> programmers being supported by the current closed source software economy.

Well, Eivind had a good one the other day: rank all programmers by
ability, then take the bottom two-thirds out into the woods and shoot
them. The remaining third will be a) delivered from having to spend
most of their time fixing other people's crappy code and b) very
motivated to stay on top of the profession, just in case we decide to
do it all over again.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no