Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:34:38 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        lambert@cswnet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a shell server

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:31:08PM -0500, lambert@cswnet.com wrote:

> I haven't seen any of my users actively using emacs but every
> college kid taking a *ix class winds up running it at least once.
> I, personally, have never used it.  The emacs port wants XFree86
> installed.  It is not currently installed on my new box due to the
> KISS protocol.  Do I want to add another 40MB of bloat just to
> enable a little used editor/environment that also fits into the
> bloatware category?  Is it safe to have X installed on a public
> access system?  Is emacs safe in these circumstances?

Emacs can be complied without X support -- many Linux distributions have
two versions you can install: 1 with X, and one without X.  If you want to
keep it simple and keep X off the machine (which is a good idea) you
should be able to compile the no-X version from the ports collection
directly.  While I haven't tried it, my guess is that it should be as
simple as changing the

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-x-toolkit --sharedstatedir=/var/run

in the Makefile to

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --sharedstatedir=/var/run

and then "make all install"ing it.

--Mark