Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 95 16:15:48 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        gurney_j@efn.org (John-Mark Gurney)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

> > This is work in process.  If you look at the 2.0.5R versions of rc, and
> > netstart at the top they have clear markers saying that if for some
> > reason you need to modify this file we would like to know about it.
>
> does that mean that I should tell you guys about my addion of the xfs,
> xdm, pcnfsd, and bootp stuff to /etc/rc and /etc/sysconfig?  I added them in
> the tradion of the other options...

Yes, it does.

Basically, the /etc/sysconfig is the only thing that won't get crapped on
by an install update.

That doesn't mean that what you think are options will match the general
consensus.

Be aware that in the future, changes to system procedure files, like
/etc/rc, will be overwritten on update.

Probably, there needs to be a global install manifest file with MD5
checksums to indicate to te upgrade program that changes have been
made in files supposedly allowed to be tromped on.

It also means that the manifest files are only updatable with the install
process, so there's problems with /etc/rc from "current" inless the
install system goes to a per file granularity on file and manifest
checksup updating.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---