Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:31:44 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

In  <199610171732.TAA16530@keltia.freenix.fr> , you wrote:

> According to sos@freebsd.org:
> > It will be, John Polstra (our ELF guru :) ), will put in the
> > support for it, we just need brandelf to "brand" binaries
> > coming from the unwashed masses...
>
> I've been contacted by someone I supposed to be an OpenBSD guy (Theo was in
> Cc:) about ELF binaries recognition. I've directed him to John and you.

I've been involved with the same issue re; NetBSD.  NetBSD/alpha is
about ready to switch to ELF once we figure a way to uniquely brand
NetBSD ELF files.

> Has anyone contacted Linus for the same problem ? It would be nice if every
> free UNIX could use the same method.

Linus doesn't care.  I had this discussion about a month ago.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message