Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:26:38 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, matrix@chat.ru, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: V 3.5 Why?

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 08:04:34PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 12:04 PM 6/18/2000, Joe Greco wrote:
>
> >Because some of us don't like deploying technology with substantial
> >changes until those changes have burned in for a year or so.
> >
> >Because some of us have things like device drivers that worked under
> >3.4 but don't under 4.0.
> >
> >Because some of us hate change-for-the-sake-of-change, but we do want
> >to pick up the latest security fixes and other bugfixes.
>
> Speaking of which: I've been scouting around the FreeBSD servers, and
> cannot find a 3.x snapshot later than 3.4-RELEASE.
>
> Where are they hidden?

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/README.TXT

Says,

 "Snapshots are not distributed from ftp.freebsd.org on a regular
  basis due to load on our mirrors.  Snapshots may appear here irregularly
  in the future if there's some specific testing goal to be achieved, but
  otherwise please look on ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/
  for the latest FreeBSD snapshots as they're distributed from that
  site.  If there are any snapshots here, they will reside in the
  ${ARCH} (currently i386 or alpha) subdirectories.

  - Jordan Hubbard
    FreeBSD Release engineer."

And current.freebsd.org only has CURRENT snapshots in the named
directory.