Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 19:25:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   poor performance with FreeBSD and Windows ICS

I've got a DirecPC satellite link, which unfortunately forces me to use a
Win98 box running Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing to get the LAN
online.  Apparently Windows and Linux boxes are able to use ICS at full
thruput (60 kbyte/sec and up) but my FreeBSD boxes can only get up to 25
or so steady-state, with an initial surge at the start.  I've confirmed
the behavior on two different FreeBSD systems (4.2-RELEASE and
4.3-RELEASE).  The 4.2 box is triple boot, and both WinME and Linux on
that system achieve full thruput.  Presumably there's some difference in
the packet flow among the platforms, anyone run into this problem before?

- Mike