Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:00:36 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a Boot-Mgr...

> On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> Finally got a chance to work on this...First thing I tried was to leave
> the drives as is, and do the 'bootinst' to write the boot
> blocks...rebooted the machine, now it gives me:
>
> F1 - FreeBSD
> F5 - disk 2
>
> If I hit F1, it gives me the menu back again...if I hit F5, I get:

Getting the menu back means that the operating system listed wasn't
found where it was supposed to be.  This probably means that your first
disk is "dedicated" in an incompatible fashion.

> F1 - DOS
> F2 - FreeBSD
> F5 - disk 1
>
> If I hit F1, I get "Non-system disk", if I hit F2, I get the 'boot:'

That looks about right.  You can't boot DOS from the second disk
without modifying the bootsector.

> So, now I swap the drives, so that my 'Primary IDE' becomes Secondary, and
> vice versa, and then boot.
>
> I get the second menu first (as expected), at which I can hit F1, and it
> boots to DOS, and if I hit F2, I get the boot: prompt again.  Note that my
> boot (FreeBSD) disk is now on disk 2, not disk 1, with disk two being
> primary drive on secondary IDE chain.
>
> At the boot: prompt, I type in wd(2,a)/kernel, and get a bunch of:
>
> Error: D:0x82 C:0 H:0 S:0

That's because you only have two disks, not three.

> If I type in wd(1,a)/kernel, I get the boot sequence (dmesg output?), but
> after its reported all my hardware (accurately), I get a crash when it
> tries to mount wd1a ...

What crash?  Do you mean a panic, or a drop to single-user mode
(expected, as your /etc/fstab entries will be wrong), or a trap?

> If I boot off floppy and do the fixit disk, I can mount /dev/wd2a
> properly...so why can't I seem to get it from the 'boot:' prompt?

Misunderstanding on your part.  The number in parens in the
wd(2,a)kernel string means "BIOS wd disk unit 2".  But in your kernel
configuration, wd2 is the first disk on the second controller.

So you want to boot wd(1,a)kernel, and mount /dev/wd2.  This may
actually be problematic for the boot code; you may have to regenerate
your kernel so that wd1 is actually on the second controller so that
the BIOS and wd unit numbers match.

(No, I DID NOT touch this code 8)