Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:25:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Johan Larsson <johan@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Emulation <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vmware 1.1?

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Nick Sayer wrote:

> > I got vmware2 to work, but now it doesn't seem to want to boot windows98
> > :/ Anyone else having the same problem? I got the installation finished
> > and a login box, but i rebooted it before i logged in and now it doesn't
> > seem to boot any more. (i did a correct reboot and not a reset ;)
>
> win98 works fine for me. Some more details might be helpful. What sort
> of "disk" do you have (i.e. virtual, plain, raw?). In what way does
> it fail to boot?

It fails to boot with right after the autoexec has been run, the windows
splash-screen just does it nice loops in the bottom of the screen.

But i got it to work now, if i enter a few DEL's in the xterm i started
vmware from it continues to boot properly :)

I run it on a virtual disk, but vmware says it lies in a networked fs,
but it's on a local fs.

> > Is the Fullscreen mode disabled because vmware only seems to see the
> > sysmouse? (I run PS/2 and not sysmouse :/ )
>
> No. Fullscreen mode more specifically does not work if you enter a text
> mode
> (e.g. you are in a DOS box in win9x and hit alt-enter). VMware will
> attempt, under these circumstances, to actually set up and use a Linux
> vty for those circumstances, and the linuxulator is not up to it.
> You will end up crashing the guest.

Aha, ok.

But why does it says it uses a sysmouse? I used sysmouse when i installed
vmware, but i changed it after it complaining about that full screen mode
was disabled.

        Johan