Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 21:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, richard@pegasus.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

> You can try this as root, to find out if you have NCR BIOS:
>
> bash# dd if=/dev/mem bs=1024k count=1 | strings | grep NCR
>
> If you have NCR Bios on board, this command should spit up some stuff
> about it (I can't say for sure, I don't have NCR Bios).

Caution, this command may crash your system, be prepared for a hang
or a reboot.  Reading the ISA whole at 640k->1MB can cause some really
strange hardware actions to occur that FreeBSD is not prepared to
handle.  Especially true if you have memory mapped cards with register
banks in that address range.

If your going to do the above make sure you are in single user mode,
and if it does not find an NCR string that is not an absolute indicator
that you don't have an NCR bios, as some MB's map out the bios if it
returns saying it found no devices.

If the NCR string does show up, you defanitly have the NCR BIOS, but
the opposite is not always true.