Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:43:23 -0800
From:      Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
Subject:   Re: tape backup from remote

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:22:04AM -0500, Chris Shenton wrote:
> Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de> writes:
>
> > Amanda dumps (or tars -- your choice) to a holding disk on the backup
> > server. After enough data has been collected to stream to tape, the
> > tape is started. Keeps the tape streaming.
>
> I've also used Amanda and like it for this reason.  The only problem,

I'm looking at the Amanda suggestions.

Just to get the ball rolling I decided to make local copies of the more
important files with rsync. Until the tape is installed and up.

I copied a directory tree last night using -avz as switches, no daemon
running; the files lost their ownership in the copying. I've been
searching and doing some experimenting. Running rsync as a daemon on the
backup server with uid = root in the rsyncd.conf seems to preserve the
ownership. Is there a better way of achieving this? Most of the users
and groups on the source machine don't exist on the destination machine.

--
Sean