Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 06:59:34 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
Cc:        "phil grainger" <freebsd@pronet.net.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Review --NT suckup rag

> it's pretty much true.  there may or may not be much management
> there.  the organization needs its own management, and no, not
> jordan.  some of the secretaries can be managers.

No, I think it would basically require some sane, reasonable manager
who could handle the personnel issues and day-to-day minutiae of
running an office of tech support people while also having enough
technical savvy to know how to balance the loads.  That means nobody
currently employed, and most definitely no one who's ever been
employed in the past, by Walnut Creek CDROM quite qualifies and
someone would need to be brought in from outside.  It's not such a
stretch to imagine that.

> does the medical insurance cover workers outside the immediate
> geographical region?

You would specifically not employ people under that model (unless they
were only the most occasional and provable contractors) for exactly
this reason, another being that "remote support" is really not
something which actually works in practice as nicely and conveniently
as it may appear on paper.  Perhaps it's something which could prove
workable in small doses once the organization is big enough to need a
few "big guns" who are simply remote consultants on tap, but at least
the beginning days of the organization, while everyone is still
finding their way, the bulk of the organization's tech support would
have to be done by one team under one roof.  This is the only way to
ensure that they communicate with one another and that the developers
also working on the premises can see first-hand which issues are the
most pressing ones for technical support.  I'd also expect the tech
support team to put some time into hacking on the tech support
computing infrastructure itself, essentially building their own tools
for supporting the whole mess as they go along, and that takes a team
which can periodically meet face-to-face to plan strategy.

- Jordan