Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:24:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading 5.4 -> 6.0 without reinstalling. safe ?

Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com> wrote:
 > usually when I upgrade across major versions of BSD I wipe the whole
 > machine and re--install from scratch. But I understand that the move
 > to 6.0 from 5.4 is nowhere near such a big leap.
 >
 > So I was wondering hether I could just do this from source without any
 > ill effects, as if I was upgrading 5.4->5.5.

That's exactly what I did.  I installed a new machine from
a 5.4-Release DVD-ROM, then updated to RELENG_5, and then
went to RELENG_6 from there.  The only special thing I had
to do was to manually rm -rf /usr/obj, otherwise the build-
world broke.

Of course you should do take the usual precautions, i.e.
have a reliable backup, read UPDATING, don't forget to run
mergemaster etc.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe