Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:06:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/34739: [BROKEN] The FreeBSD PR submission system is now broken

>Number:         34739
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       [BROKEN] The FreeBSD PR submission system is now broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
See error messages below.  The PR submission system, when using send-pr, now insists on reverse DNS to my station--something that I'm powerless to cause to happen (and fundless too).  This means send-pr cannot be used by me anymore.  Since I maintain several ports, this is very burdensome because the web PR interface is inadequate (does not allow all choices in Class, some fields not even provided, no attachments, etc.).  I'll do the best I can, but this is a serious PITA!
>How-To-Repeat:
Mail in local queue:
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
9D10B15503     8867 Thu Feb  7 14:31:46  root@johncoop.MSHOME
(host hub.freebsd.org[216.136.204.18] said: 450 Client host rejected:
cannot find your hostname, [206.63.201.3])

FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
                                         lioux@freebsd.org

0C60415505   150450 Mon Feb  4 16:06:58  root@johncoop.MSHOME
(host hub.freebsd.org[216.136.204.18] said: 450 Client host rejected:
cannot find your hostname, [206.63.201.3])

>Fix:
What is the justification for reverse DNS?  Stops SPAM--just look at the lists and it's apparent that it doesn't even slow the SPAMmers down.  Alternately, improve the web interface so it provides the functionality necessary for a maintainer to use it (attachments, the ability to have copies forwarded to committer e-mails, full use of data fields, etc.).  Or mark maintainers as "special" in the reverse DNS derby.  Just please do something.  THANKS!