Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 01:40:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        David@allunix.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 75 second delay using telnet/ssh (ipv6 related)

In message <20000406152238G.shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp> Yoshinobu Inoue writes:
: Are those AAAA records defined for local machines on the local
: name server?
: Then, I would like to try same configuration, and could you
: please give me that zone files?

Machine A is trying to access a filesystem on machine B via amd +
nfs.  Machine A first looks up machine B's AAAA record, this fails and
then it looks up machine B's A record.  This succeeds and the file
accesses go through.

However, when Machine B's named goes to lunch (this is the named that
machine A is using), the query for the AAAA record times out and then
the query for A happens some 30-45 seconds later and succeeds right
away.

At least that's my reading of the tcpdump traffic.

None of these machines should be using IPv6 since we have no IPv6
machines and don't use IPv6 address.  No AAAA records are defined at
all.  And it only seems to happen sometimes.  I don't know what kills
named in the first place, just what happens when it goes partially
brain dead.

Warner