Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 20:25:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        MAX@mics.msu.su, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FIFO question

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:

> As Mad Phantom wrote:
>
> >     I have problems with config. my fifo io card (startech 16650A).

The 16650 may or may not work.  I would expect it to be detected as a
16550.

> > If I type "cat /dev/cuaa1" (on other cu* cat write "operation not
> > permitted"..or something like it) and calling modem, I see only trash on
> > screen. "cat /dev/ttyd1" looks like big hole - nothing write back.
> > Does anyone know how can I config my FIFO?
>
> I don't fully understand your question, sorry.  (Perhaps you should
> write it in a private mail to me in Russian.)
>
> Using `cat' to talk to a modem is most likely not very efficient.  Use
> a ``modem utility'' instead, for example `cu' or `tip' (both part of
> the base distribution, but both require some configuration work), or
> `kermit' (you can configure everything on the fly, but it's not in the
> base system).

'cu' requires no configuration work (hooray for Taylor!).  You can say

cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa1

and expect to be connected to your modem.  Type <ret>~. to exit, but
be prepared to wait 10 seconds or longer before getting your prompt back.

> You have to care for speed, modem control lines etc.

The 'sio' driver tries very hard to do the Right Thing with control lines.