Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:28:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: warning: maxusers > 64

> Why does it care?  (2.1-stable, supped yesterday. (4/10))

As far as I can tell - it doesn't, it's just trying to warn you about a
potentially silly setting.

Last I checked, MAXUSERS drives several key kernel data structure sizes,
among other things.  Setting MAXUSERS to 256 might be disastrous on a box
with 4MB RAM.

I routinely run news servers with MAXUSERS==128 (64/128MB RAM).  When we
recently tried to upgrade Daily-Planet to what I'm told is a "Triton-clone"
board that was able to handle 256MB RAM, I upped it to MAXUSERS=256, but the
box was very unstable.  Turned out to be the motherboard, not the setting.
:-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968