Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 23:03:18 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        dcasba@rain.org, julian@tfs.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Reference

> Is it just me or does anyone else find this sort of reply offensive?

It took me a while to realise that person knew _SO_ little that
he did not even know to try for a `man' command :-(

I suggest we adopt (voluntary) minimum enrollment criteria, to be included
in the greeting message sent by Majordomo, to be received by each new person
when they enroll, here's a draft:

] This mail list is for users & developers off FreeBSD, & assumes you already
] have working familiarity with at least one of:
]	FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSDI, Unix, Linux, HP-UX, SCO-UX etc.
] Please do NOT burden our busy mail lists with `Beginners Unix' questions.
] Just reading all the mail traffic on the FreeBSD lists is a significant
] burden to FreeBSD developers that they can't afford reading bandwidth for
] dumb questions, (even if one or two of our readers can afford the time to
] reply to dumb novice questions). !
] Please go to a private tutor/friend/bookshop/library/night-classes or
] college course provider, & say to them
] 	"I 'm a beginner with Unix type operating systems,
] 	which book do you recomend I study ?"
] The purpose of this list is NOT to teach beginners Unix, please now
] 	-  run the mail command again, with `unsubscribe' this time
] 	   instead of `subscribe',
] 	- OR, maintain a `lurker' profile, & read but don't post dumb questions.] Please note we do not insult your intelligence, but cannot afford the
] wasted bandwidth that supporting unskilled novices would require.

I suggest a core team member (Jordan maybe ?) put something like
the above in the Majordomo "you have been enrolled" message.

Julian S