Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Waite, Michael" <Michael.Waite@compaq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching from arc to srm

If there is co-resident SRM f/w in these machines, there will be an ARC menu
entry item (they'll have to hunt for it- I can't remember which submenu it's
under) that says something like "Set up for booting Digital Unix after next
power cycle".

If there isn't, they have to make a DOS floppy (or get the FW cdrom)  and put
the appropriate for their platform fwupdate.exe and SRM do the 'update f/w'
selection. I just did this recently for a PC164 I bought that had only ARC on
it.

You and they should note that Digital built some machines (I can't remember
exactly which ones) that cannot possibly run FreeBSD-alpha (or Tru64 either)-
there was, inside the chip, some address lines lasered out. This seemed to be
strange for a number of reasons..talk about gelding (cough) the lily....