Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:03:52 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Laszlo Danielisz <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ufs recovery

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 10:46:35AM +0200, Laszlo Danielisz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> By mistake I forgot to edit my crontab on my FreeBSD 8.3 after I took out
> one of the hard drives.  I had a little rsync script which I used to
> synchronise a directory between those two hard drives, because one of the
> hard drives were not present anymore and rsync had the --delete parameter=
> end up deleting the whole directory, of course with precious informations.

Ouch. I have a similar procedure going. But I put it in a shell-script that
mounts the destination _and_ checks if the destination is properly mounted =
_before_
starting the rsync. I would suggest you do something similar in the future.

Just to be clear, was the information deleted from _both_ harddisks?

> I have ufs on the hdd, after the "accident" I've turned off the computer =
> avoid any writings on the disk.  Do you have any idea how can I recover t=
he
> lost directory?

Do you perhaps have a snapshot of the filesystem in question available? If =
so,
you can mount that and restore the files from it. See e.g.:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/snapshots.html

If all else fails, have a look at sysutils/sleuthkit. Restoring deleted fil=
es
on UFS is very difficult, but you can find some pointers here:

http://wiki.sleuthkit.org/index.php?title=3DFS_Analysis#Manual_Deleted_File=
_Recovery

It helps if you know what kind of data is contained in the deleted file.

To prevent this from happening again, make regular backups e.g. to an exter=
nal
harddisk that you use for that purpose alone.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua