Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:59:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, mrl@teleport.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When is 2.2 Estimated to be released?

> > I'd like to see the code differential from 2.1.0 to 2.1.5 be the same
> > as the code differential between 2.0.5 and 2.1.0.
>
> I think what we need for 2.1.5 is a stand-alone version of the
> fdisk/partition utility from /stand/sysinstall.  I never did master the
> concept of poking magic numbers into /etc/format.dat and our heinous
> command-line fdisk utilities.  I thought somebody had done a code drop of
> this into a stand-alone program some time ago.  What ever happened to
> that?  I wouldn't mind if /stand/sysinstall was hacked to allow
> fdisk/partition/formatting WITHOUT having to pretend we are reinstalling
> the operating system.  If it is a standalone, I suggest "format" as the
> name, since that meshes with what SunOS/Solaris uses.  Comments???  I
> think this is _very_ important for the next release, and not
> very difficult to do.

I'm in very strong agreement with this sentiment!!

The fact that MS-DOS has a better fdisk program than FreeBSD is shameful.
While we're at it, how about integrating the booteasy functionality?
Personally, I miss Linux's LILO very much. Well, actually I still use it
instead of booteasy.

OK, it's easy to *ask* for things... :-)

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com