Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:01:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: name server not found

Karl Pielorz recently said:

> Stuart Henderson wrote:

> > > I can't think of anything - I'm not sure I like the '_' in he
> > > hostname 'mail_server.primaryuk.com'

> > bind doesn't like underscores, they're not valid characters for
> > use in domain names.

> That's what I thought - though to be fair our NT boxes here
> resolved the name OK... I still wouldn't trust them though :-) -
> Brings back memories of the people who set their Win9X machines
> names to things like "Bob's only PC" (which later becomes "Bob's
> only PC.isp.net") :)

AISTR it was 5 or so years ago when the RFC's were changed
to make "_" illegal in machine names.  I set up a machine as an
email gateway for a site with a lot of Novell and Win product.

I made the comment to the adminstrator then the the names with
underscores were illegal.

However the older versions of Bind accepted this.  It is the newer
versions that enforce that.   You can't say "to be fair  our NT
boxes resolved the name OK .." unless you are comparing it
with the versions of BIND in the 1995/6 area.  Just because it
used to comply doesn't mean the MS needs to stick with that.  They
do need to keep up with current standards.

Bill
--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bv@wjv.com