Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 15:50:35 -0500
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <peter@freebsd.org>, <bp@freebsd.org>, <archie@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Broken module loading and kernel dependencies

I did not have to statically compile pppoe support in the kernel.  Here are
the modules I loaded

ng_pppoe
ng_ppp
ng_socket
ng_ether
netgraph

it all seemed to work good.  I did have another problem though with
conflicting modules if_dc and if_rl

the 2 nics I had in the machine were kingston and a realtek 8139.  I forget
the model of the kingston, but I can get that.

If I did kldload if_rl it would pick up the kingston but not the realtek, if
I loaded if_dc it would pick up the kingston and then I would try to load
if_rl and it would tell me its already loaded and wouldn't pick up the
realtek, but I could not get both nic's to work until I compiled them into
the kernel.