Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 03:25:19 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a Boot-Mgr...

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > Finally got a chance to work on this...First thing I tried was to leave
> > the drives as is, and do the 'bootinst' to write the boot
> > blocks...rebooted the machine, now it gives me:
> >
> > F1 - FreeBSD
> > F5 - disk 2
> >
> > If I hit F1, it gives me the menu back again...if I hit F5, I get:
>
> Getting the menu back means that the operating system listed wasn't
> found where it was supposed to be.  This probably means that your first
> disk is "dedicated" in an incompatible fashion.

	disk 1 was created as a FreeBSD only drive, since I never planned
on installing any other operating systems on it...does this constitute
"dedicated in an incompatible fashion"? :(

> > At the boot: prompt, I type in wd(2,a)/kernel, and get a bunch of:
> >
> > Error: D:0x82 C:0 H:0 S:0
>
> That's because you only have two disks, not three.

	Ah, okay...

> > If I type in wd(1,a)/kernel, I get the boot sequence (dmesg output?), but
> > after its reported all my hardware (accurately), I get a crash when it
> > tries to mount wd1a ...
>
> What crash?  Do you mean a panic, or a drop to single-user mode
> (expected, as your /etc/fstab entries will be wrong), or a trap?

	panic and then reboot...my /etc/fstab was changed before I
rebooted...

> > If I boot off floppy and do the fixit disk, I can mount /dev/wd2a
> > properly...so why can't I seem to get it from the 'boot:' prompt?
>
> Misunderstanding on your part.  The number in parens in the
> wd(2,a)kernel string means "BIOS wd disk unit 2".  But in your kernel
> configuration, wd2 is the first disk on the second controller.
>
> So you want to boot wd(1,a)kernel, and mount /dev/wd2.  This may
> actually be problematic for the boot code; you may have to regenerate
> your kernel so that wd1 is actually on the second controller so that
> the BIOS and wd unit numbers match.

So, do something like the following?

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd1     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 1

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org