Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:30:55 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing DVD

Hmm, it looks like some part of the upgrading I've done in the past
few days has done the trick, Ogle is now working.

In case anybody hasn't heard about it, here's what Ogle can do:
Pros:
1. Actually display the menus.  Ogle parses the .ifo file and
   actually runs like a real DVD player.
2. Displays subtitiles correctly.
3. Allows you to choose audio tracks from the main menu.
4. Runs fairly fast on my limited machine (PII 400).  It looks like
   realtime most of the time.
5. Compiles right out of the box if you have all of the support
   stuff it wants installed.
6. The player is stable.  I've not had it crash on me yet.
7. It compiles against libdvdcss, so you don't have to pre-decode
   your DVDs before you play them.

Cons:
1. Requires a somewhat unusual audio library.  Fortunatly it compiles
   just fine on FreeBSD.
2. Fast Forward/Rewind seem a little slow.  Hitting the FF button
   repeatedly didn't seem to speed up the stream much.
3. This is a pretty early effort and it lacks polish, but then so
   do all of the DVD players on FreeBSD.
4. Libdvdcss has a very annoying behavior where it goes and cracks
   *every* VOB on a DVD before it starts playing.  On some DVD this
   can me a minute or two wait when you start up.
5. Ogle has no de-interlacing (telecine) support as far as I can
   tell.  This means you will get annoying artefacts when you play
   DVDs built from TV source.  As far as I know, no software player
   (on any platform) supports this.
6. The subtitles on Ogle look somewhat pixelated, this is not normal.

Homepage: http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/