Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 00:40:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rich@lamprey.utmb.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, richard@pegasus.com, michaelv@HeadCandy.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for help selecting tape device

Rich Murphey stands accused of saying:
> |Almost certainly refurb.  The 8200 is fine as long as you're _very_
> |kind and loving.  If anything breaks, it's a throwaway.
> |
> |I don't consider it to be a very good buy these days, unless you're
> |into picking them up at auctions for ~$50 each.
>
> I've got a wangdat 3200 (4Gb w/compression) that can
> now be had for about $400 used.  It started eating
> tapes after 1.5 years and the factory (Rexon) wanted
> $300 to fix it.  That's pretty close to being throwaway
> too.

Exabyte have a fixed-price repair policy here.  The fixed price for the
EXB-8200 is AUD$800.  Third-part repairers aren't significantly
cheaper - I have a dead 'un here that required a new CD board.  AUD$700.
I swapped it for one out of an auction unit with stuffed mechanicals, but
that's no way to maintain a vital unit.

> I'm sure it will fail again in less than a year and I'm
> just not sure whether to go with an HP DAT drive next.
> HP only has a year warranty as far as I know.  I'd
> probably get a HP C1533A from Rod if I had it to do
> over again, but I wish there were something that lasted
> longer.  Rich

If you want a long-term backup unit, look at a CD-R or a MOD. *laugh*.
We're having a good run (so far at any rate) with the Sony DAT units.