Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 00:02:12 EDT
From:      StevenR362 <StevenR362@aol.com>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, sepotvin@videotron.ca
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

In a message dated 5/21/98 4:36:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jhay@mikom.csir.co.za writes:

<< You are not alone. We have the same here on our SMP machine. I thought
 it was the SMP that was at fault, but now with your report, maybe it
 is that after all. I can do lots of "make buildworld"s and "make world"s
 with no problems, but "make release" kill it everytime. For now we are
 back to an async mount on the release partition. The machine does not
 have devfs, so it isn't that either.

 John
 --
 John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za >>

This is pure conjecture, but doesn't a make release use the vn device?
Maybe, softupdates interacts badly with vn accessed filesystems.

Steve