Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 03:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/26285: Mail Problem with hub.freebsd.org

The following reply was made to PR misc/26285; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: enderle@mdn.de
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:55:33 +0300

 On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:39:04AM -0700, enderle@mdn.de wrote:

 > >Number:         26285
 > >Category:       misc
 > >Synopsis:       Mail Problem with hub.freebsd.org
 > >Originator:     Steven Enderle
 > >Release:
 > hub.freebsd.org block emails comming from dialup smtp servers.
 >
 > This sucks! I can't communicate with the bug tracking system!
 >
 > <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>: host hub.freebsd.org[216.136.204.18] said:
 >     554 Service unavailable; [62.158.242.17] blocked using
 >     dialups.mail-abuse.org, reason: See <URL:http://mail-abuse.org/dul/>;

 I think you can, if you relay your mail through your ISP's SMTP server.
 It should not be listed in the Dial-ups' List.. if it is, then your ISP
 has a serious problem :)

 There might be an issue with your ISP refusing relaying, but I think it
 should be possible for you to either contact them and make them allow
 relaying for their customers, or send out messages specifying your e-mail
 address at the ISP in the envelope sender.  In that case, the ISP will
 have to let the mail through, since it is indistinguishable from a client's
 connection to their SMTP server for outbound mail.

 Setting the envelope sender in outgoing PR's is now possible by tweaking
 the MAIL_AGENT variable; I personally have an alias for:

 env MAIL_AGENT='/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -froam@orbitel.bg' /usr/bin/send-pr

 I think that you reconfiguring your mail setup would be a much easier and
 painless way to go than making hub accept spam from all the cable modem
 users in the US (no offense intended, but a lot of spam *does* come in
 that way, which was, I believe, the primary purpose for setting up
 the Dial-ups' List in the first place :).

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?