Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:11:30 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to play new flavor of mp3 files

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:04:40 -0500
Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1050523481.f38b8c@mired.org> wrote:

> I've recently started seeing mp3 files that neither mpg123 nor
> plaympeg can deal with. I find this rather annoying, and would like to
> know if there's something I can use to play them. All my examples are
> rather large, so I won't attach one here. But file identifies them as:
> "MP3,  32 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo". Playing them with mpg123 results
> in errors about not being able to rewind the stream; playing them with
> plaympeg results in a random collection of clicks.

Not being able to rewind the stream may indicate an error in the encoder
(assuming you use a recent version of mpg123). Do you know which encoder
was used? If not, there's "encspot" for Windows which is able to guess
the used encoder.

You could also try to play them with madplay (audio/mad), this is a
decoder which was specially programmed to comply to the official spec.
If it doesn't moan, the mp3 files should be ok (and you may have found a
bug in mpg123).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.