Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:30:46 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to install wireless n.i.c. on FreeBSD 9.1

leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net wrote:

> Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiasts. I am attempting to install a
> wireless network interface circuit on a computer running FreeBSD 9.1. I
> have read the very thorough instructions written by Messrs. Marc
> Fonvielle and Murray Stokely in the currently posted Chapter 30 of the
> FreeBSD Handbook. I did not find in that chapter a specification of the
> version or versions of FreeBSD to which it applied. The circuit board is
> manufactured by T-LInk, and uses an Atheros integrated circuit I have
> followed as closely as possible those instuctions, to no avail. The
> printed circuit board is located at slot 4. About it, dmesg.boot reads
> only the following: pci40: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached).
> My interpretation of this message is that the operating system sees that
> there is a circuit board in slot 4, and that it has something to do with
> networking, and otherwise knows nothing about it. I have checked the
> /dev directory, and find listed in it none of the driver files mentioned
> in Chapter 30. I had expected to receive error messages for lines in the
> configuration files calling for driver files that could not be located,
> but the only error message generated was "SYNCDHCP not found." This line
> does not occur in dmesg.boot, but in response to the command (I forgot
> which command). How do I obtain and install the missing driver files?
> Why does the fact that they are missing not generate error notices? Any
> and all comments are appreciated. If these questions have already been
> answered many times before, please do not flame me. Just let me know
> where I should have looked for the answers. Thank you. Lee

I have essentially no experience with wifi in FreeBSD so I can't really help
you directly except to suggest doing pciconf -lv and check to see if it will
list specific hardware details about the wifi card. No need to post all the
output, just the section pertaining to the wifi card will suffice.

This info may assist others in determining if/how they may be able to help
you.

-Mike