Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 95 10:37:15 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

> > From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
> > Everybody else:  Feel free to print any information which can be useful
> > in some marginal case when bootverbose is set.  Use "boot: /kernel -v"
> > to see it.
>
> Would /kernel -v be an appropriate hook to hang the
> 	"I am now about to probe [npx or whatever]"
> type messages that I was suggesting some while back
> (& that some folks felt they really didnt want to see on a normal boot) ?

Windows 95 (wouldn't you know it, old Terry, trying to argue for the
best features of a non-BSD OS being included in BSD again... HERETIC!)
has a *neat* installation feature.

When you first install, it starts probing for hardware.  It keeps an
O_WRITESYNC type log of what it is about to try and find.

This means for the rare case of a destructive probe, it can recover
because you reboot the box and it knows not to do that again.

This is, by far, the best feature of Windows 95 (though the network
setup and the timezone setter are pretty cool too, especially the
time zone setter).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---