Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 19:02:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (Peter Korsten)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

As Peter Korsten wrote...
> Wolfgang Helbig shared with us:
> > >
> > > This is really my main point, bisdn works for some folks and not for
> > > other, but is no real reliable base for part of FreeBSD. It's a mess and
> > > that could explain why some people have so much luck and other don't.
> > > Mostly boiling down to "luck" I expect.
> >
> > The messy part starts when you try to run ppp over isdn. But straight
> > bisdn-097 works fine for a lot of people. I installed it nearly a year ago
> > successfully. It was one of the first things I did with FreeBSD, so
> > it didn't take much expertise to install.
>
> But as a matter of fact, raw IP over HDLC isn't really used outside
> of Germany. At least, it isn't used one country to the west, the
> Netherlands. I also notice that people speaking in favour of bisdn
> are called 'Wolfgang' and 'Hellmuth', both your average German name.

We also had to use PPP/ISDN here. I have yet to find a non-PPP
ISDN capable provider here in Holland.

> I need PPP to make my ISDN card of use and though the bisdn code
> may be okay (I can neither confirm nor deny that), installing it
> is a real pain in the you-know-what and the PPP-hack looks really
> yuckie to me.

But as soon as you get everything together the end result *is* stable,
at least in our experiences at TCJA (http://www.tcja.nl)

Took some frustrated phonecalls to Peter for help before success came ;-)

Wilko