Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:01:23 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Andrey V. Sokolov" <abc@nns.ru>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf & keep state

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

>In some mail from Andrey V. Sokolov, sie said:
>>
>> Hello!
>> We have router running under FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, with two ethernet
>> cards (ep0 and xl0). We have the WWW-server connected to the router
>> via xl0. The router connected to ISP via ep0. To let everyone visit
>> our WWW we have following ipf rules for ep0:
>> block in log quick on ep0 all head 10
>> pass in quick on ep0 proto tcp from any port > 1023 to A.B.C.D/32 port
>> = 80 flags S keep state group 10
>>
>> But some type of packets are dropped by ipfilter within legal session!
>>
>> router# ipmon
>> 13/09/2000 12:34:54.393687 ep0 @0:3 b 137.187.208.52,2854 ->
>> A.B.C.D,80 PR tcp len 20 10240 -AF IN
>> 13/09/2000 12:34:54.393687 ep0 @0:3 b 195.87.8.124,1757 ->
>> A.B.C.D,80 PR tcp len 20 10240 -A IN
>> 13/09/2000 12:34:54.393687 ep0 @0:3 b 147.17.25.152,1854 ->
>> A.B.C.D,80 PR tcp len 20 10240 -AFP IN
>> 13/09/2000 12:34:54.393687 ep0 @0:3 b 195.170.138.112,1456 ->
>> A.B.C.D,80 PR tcp len 20 10240 -R IN
>> 13/09/2000 12:34:54.393687 ep0 @0:3 b 212.187.28.252,3859 ->
>> A.B.C.D,80 PR tcp len 20 10240 -AF IN
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how to fix it?
>>
>> IMHO, ipfilter treats the session as finished after passing first
>> FIN+ACK packet in the session, and forgets to pass corresponding ACK
>> and FIN+ACK packets for correct finish of the session.
>
>More than likely it has received an RST from the web server too.
>You can try adjusting the timeouts using sysctl.
>
>Darren

Thanks for your answer!
You are right, ipfilter is receiving lots of RST from my www server.
We increased the marked parameter from 1 to 10.
The number of RST packets from the www dropped by ipfilter became
smaller, but number of dropped FIN+ACK packets from any to the www is
still great.
May be we can try to change some other parameters?

net.inet.ipf.fr_flags: 0
net.inet.ipf.fr_pass: 514
net.inet.ipf.fr_active: 0
net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpidletimeout: 864000