Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:26:02 +0100
From:      Pierre Emeriaud <petrus.lt@gmail.com>
To:        Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI IXP400 issue : very low output

Hello Patrick, list,

2013/3/13 Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>:
> Le Sat, 9 Mar 2013 15:04:15 +0100,
> Pierre Emeriaud <petrus.lt@gmail.com> a =E9crit :
>
> Hello,
>
>> I have a sound issue with my recently-installed FreeBSD. The
>> motherboard has a ATI IXP400 with an ALC655 chip.
>>
>> At first I thought that output wasn't working. But increasing the
>> volume on the amplifier I was using resulted in a *very* weak sound
>> output, which sounds like a leakage current being amplified. Whereas
>> I'm using an application (I've been testing with vlc) or directly
>> piping random to /dev/dsp0, I get the same output level.
>
> I've seen something similar on a Macbook pro (very very low output). I
> must add an "ovref" quirk.
>
> (/boot/loader.conf)
> hint.hdaa.0.config=3D"ovref"

I've tried this, no change unfortunately. This looks like a snd_hda
driver quirk, which I'm not using, and snd_atiixp doesn't show any
obvious quirks.

AC97 however has some, and AC97_F_EAPD_INV looks suspicious. On a
fedora forum I found that someone put "snd-atiixp ac97_quirk=3Dinv_eapd"
as driver option. Is there a way with Freebsd to change the value of
AC97_F_EAPD_INV?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Patrick :)

regards,
Pierre