Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:10:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>, jabley@patho.gen.nz, dom@happygiraffe.net, brian@awfulhak.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, lee@uk.freebsd.org, freebsd-users@uk.freebsd.org, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> That's my feeling.  It's especially sad to twiddle one's thumbs and listen
> to the disk crunching while it unpacks the korean, japanese, russian,
> graphics and many other ports sections which I am never going to use.
> Repeating the exercise for all the ISPs in the world would be suboptimal,
> to say the least.

I think you might have kind of hit the nail on the head here... If I live
in the UK (oh, I do, that's handy!) do I really need the ispsetup files
for the rest of the world if I know my hardware is never going there?

I think it might be an idea to try and seperate it up. Perhaps have a
ports-like system where the relevant files for a given country are
downloaded only when a user goes into /usr/ports/ispestup/XX where XX is a
standard country code, and types make install.

Then, the ispsetup files are copied to wherever on the system
automagically. If we assume that there are only about a hundred countries
that would be in here, it would be equivalent to downloading 2 or maybe 3
of the larger sections of ports, without having to get everything. This
means I and you don't have to sit and wait for all the national and
regional ISPs for Turkey to be downloaded unless we plan to take our
laptop to Turkey.

Is it just me, or does this sort of make sense? I somehow think that the
initial distribution will be relatively small, but still retains all the
usability required to be able to get all the required information
reasonably quickly. A tie-in to /usr/ports seems sensible to me, but what
do I know? :)

Just my 2euros worth. :)

--
Paul Robinson - Developer/Systems Administrator @ Akitanet Internet