Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:38:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUMMARY: Apple Newton MessagePad

Marco Molteni writes:
 > Well, I really like -chat ! ;-)
 > Thanks to everybody who replied.
 >
 > There are two fronts here on -chat:
 > - those who suggested the USRobotics Palm Pilot
 > - those who suggested the Apple Newton MessagePad 2000

Just to confuse the issue, Newton is no longer owned by Apple; they've
been spun off into their own company.  On a probably related note, the
Newto SDK is now available on Winblows as well as MacOS.

 > I choosed the Newton, because for what _I_ am going to do, the Palm
 > Pilot is too small. Anyway, I think the Palm Pilot is a very good toy
 > too, especially for the price.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  If the Pilot just had a single PCMCIA slot,
or something like that.

 > If someone is interested in PDAs or Windows CEs and similar, the
 > august issue of Byte Magazine has a (biased :-( ) report:
 > "Hand-Helds get serious", in which they compare 10 hand-helds, from
 > the MessagePad to the HP 320LX to the Philips Velo 1 to the Palm
 > Pilot. I think you can find the article also online (www.byte.com).

The WinCE's as a group are pretty lame: although they have bigger
screens and a keyboard, most of them are not much more functional that
the Pilot, but cost nearly as much as a Newton.  Most of them have a
PCMCIA/PCcard slot, but you can't run it on batteries, only when plugged
into the wall.  What a crock.

 > Thanks again to the wonderfully "not
 > normal" people on -chat.

Yeah, this is a pretty fun group, isn't it?  Even when we're arguing
politics, it stays fairly polite.  We kind of tend to be an eggheaded
lot, though.  ;^)

 > "This snakeskin jacket symbolizes my individuality and belief in personal
 >  freedom".

Snakeskin?  For me, it would just symbolize my dislike of reptilians.
They remind me too much of a VP I used to work for.  ;^)