Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 16:12:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

On 22-May-97 at 02:18:43 USER wrote:
% i just got a copy of freebsd and have installed it, and eliminated all
% the conflicts. I am running it on a home pc 486dx 100mhz with 16m ram
% in hopes to learn more about unix. I seem to have this problem where i
% cant figure out how to run the games or xwindows. When i try to run a
% file it says cannot find command, do i need to gunzip anything? Do i
% need to set a different path?

This is most likely the problem -- games live in /usr/games and *most*
X11 programs live in /usr/X11R6/bin.  If these are not in your path,
they should be.

% I went with the defaults. What am i doing
% wrong? why can i not execute anything it says i have access rights.

Joachim Kuebart replied:
> Have you installed XWindow yet? If not, you will have to go to
> /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 and "make all install clean", and do the same in
> XFree86-contrib.

Oh, heavens no, you don't need to build it.  If you have the CD, just
install from the XFree86 directory on the CD.  If you don't, go to
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/XFree86/current and follow the download and
installation instructions there.