Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:59:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of new VX driver

> atapi cdrom and ide harddrive EWWWWW....
hey, ultra DMA drives are really nice these days, and not nearly as noisy.

> and that icky 905b card....
disgusting. I do not know if they changed the card recently, but I have
about 25 of those cards right now that don't work for beans.

They ifconfig fine (under Linux, BSD, and 95), and everthing thinks they
are fine, including the 3Com diagnostic software. But none of them will
ping. I get no activity on the cards or on the hubs.

We are dropping theses from our pricelist, and will be be replacing them
w/ Etherexpress Pros.

> heh, be careful when you buy Dell folks :)

Wasn't there some Dell/3Com fiasco that resulted in speculations about
market share and profit that took down both their stock prices? Can't
remember the details...

> oh and another affliction... we are planning to go to NIS+ and i'm quite
> sure freebsd doesn't have client support yet... hmmm... maybe i could
> convince them to let me be the NIS master on my 10bT card :)

There is work underway on -CURRENT for this, but I do not think it is
currently usable. Ask wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul) for an
update.

Kevin