Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 00:40:54 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

Not every piece of software out there that people deem worthwhile BELONGS
as part of the base system.  Most people couldn't give a darn about
the logging or wrapping that either xinetd or tcp-wrappers perform,  both
programs are welcome as ports, but not welcome as part of the core system,
thankyouverymuch.

We have PORTS for a reason, they're easy to install, what more can you ask for?

  From: Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>

  On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Nathan Lawson wrote:

  > Secondly, I was wondering why the tcp_wrappers distribution didn't make it
  > into the source tree instead of being a port.  It's a pretty small program
  > that hasn't received too many changes recently.  It's very worthwhile and
  > libwrap.a can be linked into portmap and ypserv a lot more easily (even
  > making this the default, perhaps).

    Personally, I've always considered xinetd to the be the superior
  solution to the access control problem, since it doesn't incur the extra
  overhead of a fork+exec for every connection.

  Tom