Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:18:10 -0500
From:      "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> If the component (well respected etc etc) algorithms I have used
> in GBDE contains flaws so that they become individually less
> intrinsicly safe because their input is the output of another such
> algorithm, then the crypto-world has problems they need to work on.

The crypto world is a world of very brittle materials developed by
humans with finite capacities. We do our best, but we make
mistakes.

Combining algorithms in such a way that the result is unexpectedly
weak has been seen on several occasions.

The reason cryptographers are very cautious is because they have been
burned repeatedly.

> Despite my best efforts to get people interested in reviewing GBDE,
> it doesn't seem to have succeeded in getting any attention until
> now, and I am very much looking forward to the competent review
> and input this will generate.

If you wish to hear my suggestions on how to get review, feel free to
contact me offline.

Perry