Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      john <john@katan.pomona.edu>
To:        Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trial accounts

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Peter Hawkins wrote:

> I'd like to gather some feelings about providing (perhaps restricted) "trial"
> 1. security
> 2. The potential for someone to dial in under that name indefinitely.
>
> However I don't want to lose custom :) so if there are ways of
> addressing 1. and 2. I'd like to hear them.
>
> Peter
---
well, from my experience i've seen two easy ways of extending acct use.

1. a file under the name of "TERMSET*" was placed in a trial home
directory which altered the time counter and the user was allowed to use the
acct indefinitely.
	i'm not sure exactly what TERMSET* was altering, but it worked

2. after a trial period, even though the acct had expired, ftp was still
open.  so someone was able to ftp a new .login file and consequently
dialin indefinitely.

both methods aren't real security holes, simple settings changes would do
the trick.  it's more of a reflection on the sysadmins.  they were either
too busy, too lazy or too stupid to take care of it.

hope everything works out well for you

l8r