Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:10:07 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, <todorov@space.com>
Subject:   Re: Kernel compilation problems

----- Original Message -----
From: <todorov@space.com>
To: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 9:27 PM
Subject: Kernel compilation problems

> I've got FreeBSD 4.3 stable installed, and I've compiled my kernel 2
times, upgrading from 4.1 release. When I wanted to compile just the
kernel to include lpt support, i've encountered some errors. First,
there are two kernel options that i cannot figure why don't seem to
work when trying to configure the kernel ( in fact, that is after
cvsupping),
> [...]
> options ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
> [...]

That option has been removed from the kernel config (sadly, it's STILL
not mentioned in /usr/src/UPDATING). dma ist now default on for
ata-devices (i.e. harddisks) and off for atapi devices (cd-roms etc.).
You can change this behaviour by setting variables in
/boot/loader.conf (i.e. hw.ata.atapi.dma="1" enables dma for atapi
devices). The full list of available loader options and sysctl
variables for ata can be found in the ata manpage (man 4 ata). If you
are stuck in the upgrading process and cannot access the new manpages
yet, it's also available at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ata&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpa
th=FreeBSD+4.3-RELEASE&format=html

Greetings,