Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 15:31:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using space in a DOS filesystem

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> It still could.  You'd have to boot to an MFS first, which would up
> by 3M the kernel size, but you could do it.

That's a fairly shaky 'could' for demo purposes.

> > Checking for contiguity is relatively trivial given the nature of the
> > FAT filesystem; all this sort of 'health checking' can be easily
> > included in the "do we accept this slab" tests.
>
> I think you missed my point:  There needs to be a file system independent
> way of checking contiguity in order to make the same shortcut possible on
> HPFS and NTFS (to name two).  Or ext2fs, to name three.  8-).

Making a contiguous slab on either of those three would be nontrivial, and
certainly falls outside the scope of what I was trying to achieve 8)

> Ah.  The device exporting code is the rub.

It's not _necessary_ here.  All that's needed is another 'mutant' slice
like the 'compatability' slice that can be bent around to match the
size and position on the disk of the slab.  I've turned my brain to mush
trying to comprehend the boot-time disk exploration code from a
standing start, but that's not helping 8(

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[