Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:24:10 -0800
From:      Joaquin Menchaca <linuxuser@finnovative.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: how to enable telnet?

Glenn Sieb wrote:
> Joaquin Menchaca said the following on 1/17/2005 4:01 PM:
>
>> Just some questions about telnet.  I just installed FreeBSD.  I want
>> to setup so that I can telnet into it and do some work on it (as it'll
>> be the server for the house)
>

> Telnet is a highly insecure solution. It has generally been replaced
> with ssh (Secure SHell).

Hi.  Then how can I get SSH working?  I can use this.  My target client
platform now is Mac OS X, so interoperability between FreeBSD and Mac OS
X is smoother.

However, later I want to use Windows XP/2K3.  They have decent ssh
client support through tools like putty, but I don't know any good sshd
solution on Windows.

Windows can secure insecure applications through through IPSec.  This
might be similar to kerberorized tools in Solaris and stunnel for
others.  Eventionally, I want to play with them all, feret out which
ones are painful, which ones are the best, and what ones work between
platforms (linux vs. solaris vs. freebsd vs macos vs windows). :->

One complaint I've heard with SSH though is that bad stuff can still get
through a firewall, such as a downloading of a known trojan/virus, can
cannot get stripped out.  Whereas, SSL could potentially get stipped out.

Anyways, I'm far from that point yet.  I just need some sort of access
into the box.  I'm behind a firewall.

  -- joaquin