Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:12:01 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
Cc:        Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OS X clients - Samba  Arrrrggg!!

Matthew Ryan wrote:
> On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 01:10 pm, Jon Reynolds wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 04:05, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>         Matthew Ryan wrote:
>
>             Hi all,
>
>             I'm running a Samba server under FreeBSD Release 4.8, so far
>             everything
>             has been just spanky but I added a new share yesterday and
>             now I have an
>             odd problem with my OS X clients.
>
>             Actually I only tried to copy files to the server from an OS
>             X machine
>             for the first time yesterday so I don't actually know how
>             long the
>             problem has been around. I do remember having some trouble
>             organising
>             files on the server from an OS X client a week or so again.
>

>         Well, I just tested here with my IMac vs. FreeBSD/Samba server
>         and I
>         could not repeat the problem. I'm using Mac OS 10.2.4, FreeBSD
>         4.8-RC
>         (from March 3) and Samba 2.2.4_1 from ports ... looks like it's
>         time
>         to update that.
>         Actually, I seem to remember some documented problems with certain
>         versions of Mac OS and SMB shares. Is your version of Mac OS up to
>         date?
>
>             In fact, shortly after the server crashed "No more mbufs?" I
>             restarted
>             and it's been fine since.
>

>         You may want to raise the number of mbufs available on this server.
>
>             The problem is this:
>
>             When I try to copy files from the OS X clients (and I have
>             tried 2 to be
>             sure), I see a
>
>             "Could not complete the operation because you don't have enough
>             privileges" error.
>

>         I tried copy and create with both files and folders with no
>         problems.
>
>             Of corse, I am sure that the user I am logged on to the
>             server as has
>             full read write access to the directory concerned. To be
>             sure I have
>             logged on as different users. I find this problem in the Home
>             Directories as well!
>
>             Just to further confuse things - I am able to create a new
>             folder and
>             delete it again, although I am never permitted to put a file
>             in it. And
>             even stranger - when the copy fails it leaves a 0k file at the
>             destination with name of the file I try to copy.
>

>         This sounds vaguely familiar. I can't remember details, but I
>         seem to
>         recall installing a server a one point where files would be
>         created, and
>         when the client actually tried to write to the file, they had no
>         permissions. The error was somewhere in the permissions and create
>         ownership settings in Samba. Basically, Samba was being told to
>         create
>         all files as another user, with somewhat strict permissions, but
> [...]

Remember that Samba can include and use a config file on the fly based on
parameters of the connecting machine.  I believe that you can have it
include a different file depending on the operating system, so the
windows machines would veto all dotfiles, but the Mac wouldn't (warning:
this causes problems when you try to delete directory trees from Windows)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies