Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:56:45 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Cc:        Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, jin@george.lbl.gov, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P-II vs K6-2

"Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the socket 370 Celeron 300a overclocks as well as it's
> Slot1 sibling? This would be great, especially with the new Abit BP6(??)
> dual socket 370 celeron board.

     From the postings I've seen on the net, the S370 300A has a greater
success rate than the slot 1 300A.

     Note, however, that dual Celerons only make sense if you overclock,
now that the prices of PIIs are dropping.  If you don't overclock, it's
probably worthwhile to spend a little extra to get PIIs.  The reason is
that CPUs in an SMP system have to contend with each other for memory
bandwidth, and the smaller 128K Celeron cache may cause memory
contention to occur more often, which may offset any advantage from the
zero-wait cache.  This is especially true if you don't overclock, as the
non-overclocked Celerons will be using a 66MHz FSB, as opposed to the
100MHz FSB of PIIs (350MHz & up).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.