Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:14:05 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jack@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routed daemon

Running FBSD 4.5-release
I'm hitting a brick wall in getting the gateway interface alias to forward
all incoming packets from the public interface to a web server on another
server on the LAN. The packets are coming in to the gateway server and
supposed to be forwarded according to the address redirect. The netstat -r
shows that the routing tables look correct, so am stumped.

In looking for a solution, I wondered about the routed daemon which comes
with the base system. I had read that it runs by default, but a ps -auxw |
grep routed does not show the routed at all.

Also, see that the rc.conf can be configured to run routed at boot, that
is, if it's not running silently somewhere...and if I need it. From reading
routed(8), it sounds like the a missing ingredient.

This really must a stupid question, but could the the routed daemon, or
lack of, be my problem of forwarding the packets properly...????? Really a
"green" question, but I'm still learning this stuff.... so, does the routed
daemon need to be launched at bootup...????

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin