Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:15:33 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au, terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login.conf - radius client (was Re: getty patches)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, David Langford wrote:

> >> I am _particularly_ interested in this, as I have a couple of (paying)
> >> ISP customers who very much want to integrate user logins to BSD
> >> machines with their radius authentication environment.
> >>

> >This would be very interesting indeed.  Centralized authentication to a
> >radiusd box for everything; an ASCEND box, a FreeBSD PPP server, a
> >FreeBSD client PC, etc.
>
> I have also seen versions of POP servers that can use msql for user
> lists.
>
> The question I've also had was with regards to sendmail.
> How does sendmail know that users exist if one uses RADIUS or some
> other "non-traditional" way of user authentication???

[Workaround]

Run sendmail on the same box where radiusd is.

[Ideal solution]

It's completely transparent to sendmail.  The authentication calls do the
right thing depending on which authentication method is used.

[Less than ideal solution]

sendmail is hacked to be radius-aware like the recent LDAP support is
done.

Regards,

Mike