Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 22:33:04 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit FreeBSD

Nicole wrote:
>   I have been playing with a Packet Engines Gigabit Ethernet hub and ethernet ca
> rds that have drivers for FreeBSD. (third party) I want to write up an article/p
> aper on my testing highlighting FreeBSD. So far I have tested transfering files
> via mv and ftping, (so far I have reached 15.6MB/s via ncftp) and I have planned
>  some NFS tests. However I would like to know what tests would best show off Fr
> eeBSD and the Gigbit ethernet.

I've used tcpblast, found in ports and packages, for throughput testing.  I don't
know how it'll stack up to your requirements, I was using it to test a dial-up
router with a variety of 28.8, 33.6, and 56K modems, which isn't on the same
planet, let alone in the same ballpark.

>  I think that this writeup could help a great deal in showing FreeBSD as a Real
> World, we can play with the Big Toys OS. However I would like to know what tests
>  would best show off FreeBSD and the Gigbit ethernet.

Amen.  Try'em all.

If you want to do a REAL(tm) test, find someplace you can beg, borrow
or steal a SmartBits.  If I had a GigE card, I'd offer you the services
of the lab at work for a weekend, but we don't have a Gig card for the
SmartBits yet.  (I'm not even sure they have one yet.)  We're still
waiting for our layer-3 interface cards so we can make the SmartBits do
funky stuff at the IP layer.