Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:57:39 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General Wireless Network Question

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:

> 	With 802.11b devices, the best speed you will be able to see is
> about 3Mbps,

"11Mbit/s" nominally.  In practice, I can get ~550kbytes/s out of
it.  That is very slow if you're used to Fast Ethernet.  Not that
you are going to notice for web browsing.  OTOH, if you copy around
CD images...

> I would say that VOIP over 802.11b could very easily be marginal at
> best.

Oh c'mon, standard telephony voice is 64kbit/s.

> 	Myself, I'm a strong believer in having much higher LAN bandwidth
> than your WAN upstream.

Funnily enough, I just ordered my first GigE parts today.